I am gathering as much information about the Currin Family who settled in Nelson, New Zealand in the 1840′s They originated from Crick in Northamptonshire #Currins
John Currin who lived in Crick, Northamptonshire, England
Described as – The Red Lion Inn 52 Main Road, CRICK, Northampton, NN6 7TX An old gabled, thatched, coaching inn of mellow ironstone standing beside the pretty main street just a stone’s throw from Crick’s ancient church. Exposed beams, low ceilings and open fires characterise this village free-house.
The Red Lion is the oldest pub in the village. It was first registered as a pub in 1766 by the landlord Suzannah Watkins. It was built in the 17th century and contains one of three stone staircases to be found in the village. Records indicate that the building was a coaching inn before becoming a pub. The internal structure of the pub has changed considerably over the years. The main entrance was originally at the front of the building but has recently moved to the side. One hundred years ago the weekly trade at the Red Lion was more than at the Wheatsheaf – “1.25 barrels of beer (360 pints), 10 dozen pint bottles of beer and 1 gallon of spirits”. The Red Lion was a tied house, belonging to T Manning & Co of Northampton
History of the Building The Red Lion is the oldest pub in the village. It was first registered as a pub in 1766 by the landlord Suzannah Watkins. It was built in the 17th century and contains one of three stone staircases to be found in the village. Records indicate that the building was a coaching inn before becoming a pub and the original stable can still be seen today along with the feeding troughs.The thatched roof was tinned during the Second World War to protect the thatch. The internal structure of the pub has changed considerably over the years. The main entrance was originally at the front of the building but has recently moved to the side. The present day kitchen has replaced a skittle room. The pub was reputed to have possessed a snug which was a small room reserved for special guests at the discretion of the landlord. In 1973-1980 the stable was used as a bar known to the locals as the “Lion’s Den”. The mangers ,which were attached to the wall, were converted into tables .The end stall had a stable door and a hole was made in the wall to accomodate the bar. This building was frequently used for parties.
Some history of John Currin in England and The Red Lion Pub which was owned by John Currin Senior: 1789-1826 (possibly) John Currin was licensee by 1801 catering for a village population of 962.
Hostelries of Crick
Red Lion Landlords Past and Present
The first recording of the building used as a hostelry was in 1766.
Below is a list of past landlords up to the present day.
1766 The first landlady Suzannah Watkins holding a license witnessed at the George Inn Northampton by J.P.S Andrew and Bateman.
1772 Thomas Sabin became landlord with a £10 surety provided by Zephaniah Edmunds and on an endorsement by magistrates Ward and Adams.
1789 John Currin was licensee and by 1801 catering for a village population of 962. (John Currins from 1789 could be longer but records from 1800-1826 are missing)
1826 Martha Bucknall ran the ale house for 21 years and was guaranteed £20 each by William Cooper and Joseph Clarke, both of Crick.
1854 Joseph Cooper succeeded his father William. 1866 John Page was the landlord.
1871 Benjamin Rowley took over the Red Lion.
1874 James Smith became the landlord with a full virtualler’s license.
1877 James Page began a 26 year tenancy.
1903 Joseph William Page completed his family’s 37 year tenure of the Red Lion.
1909 Walter Watts began his, the longest, occupancy of 34 years (John Currins from 1789 could be longer but records from 1800-1826 are missing).
1943 Jack Watts was the landlord.
1949 Horace Ambrose Higham started a decade’s tenancy.
1959 Horace Joseph White initiated a succession of short tenancies.
1965 Graham Charles Scaton Ryan.
1969 Arthur Earnest Newman.
1971 Michael Francis McGawley.
1979 Thomas Henry Marks the nineteeth recorded landlord came to the historic Red Lion.
In 1996 PaulThomas Marks and his family moved into the Red Lion and became joint licencee with his father. Red Lion
CLERIC DETAIL Surname Currin Forename John Title Qualification University College Year OTHER INFORMATION Source NthRO, PDP, x951SA (Nomination of Schoolmasters) Ordinary / Jurisdiction Hinchcliffe, John/Peterborough 1769-1794 Comment No date: 1787 from other evidence
hide detailsPatron Details
PATRON SUMMARY Patron Type Clerical Patron Role nominator Gender Male PATRON DETAILS Patron Surname Title Forename Gender Guardian Resid. Office Wilks John Male Missing Curate Spier John Male Missing Rector